The first issue of The Subconscious Restaurant was commissioned by Christchurch contemporary art space The Physics Room, in 2012. This inaugural issue explores the histories of experimental sound in New Zealand and Taiwan, with articles by Bruce Russell of the Dead C and Jeph Lo. The Subconscious Restaurant was launched with a tour of New Zealand by Taipei sound artist Wang Fujui, including a solo exhibition, Sound Dots, at The Physics Room.
- Wang Fujui’s Sound Praxis, by Gwen Anes Kuo
- Antique Bird-Like Chatter: Miscompentence in New Zealand Electronic Music, by Bruce Russell
- The Taiwanese Sound Liberation Movement, by Jeph Lo
- Road to Nowhere, comic by Tim Bollinger
- Zahra Killeen-Chance, Auckland performance artist and choreographer
- Samin Son, South Korean performance artist, Toothpaste Action Series
- Contemporary Values, essay by Hamish Win